Who Would Disney Cast?

Along our journey from the Rock'n'Roller Coaster to the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, my family and I ventured through the Walt Disney: One Man's Dream exhibit.  Just past the school desk upon which, in second grade, Walt carved the letters W and D, one word caught my eye.  If you read my blog regularly, you can guess the word.  Ordinary.

In preparation for the debut of his new daily show, Disney spoke of his choice for casting Mouseketeers.  He said, "I don't want kids that blow trumpets while they're tap-dancing.  I just want ordinary kids."  I am not privy to the method Disney's people used to seek such would-be actors, but I know that from 1955 to 1959 (first run), ordinary kids brought laughter and smiles into homes nationwide. 

Why did Disney seek ordinary kids?  Since I can only guess, I will.

I believe he wanted for those who starred in his show to be, in a word, relatable.  Relatability produces a sense of camaraderie.  Surely Disney understood the value of camaraderie.  He knew that his show's viewers would enjoy "connecting" with those children on The Mickey Mouse Club.

I cannot sketch a cartoon-worthy mouse or design a world-renown theme park; but like Disney, I understand the value of camaraderie and connectability and how the latter and the former fuel each other.  Living the Ordinary Life includes intentionally living in such a manner that people feel you are one with whom they can connect.

Be connectable!

No comments:

Post a Comment