The Other Side


Two weekends ago, my sons and I drove to Blockbuster (Yes, Anchorage still has an actual Blockbuster store!) to rent that evening's entertainment.  We made our way down the aisles until we noticed a movie produced by Disney in 1982.  "Night Crossing" portrays the events of a dangerous journey of the Strelzyk and Wetzel families.  In 1979, those families boarded a self-designed and constructed hot air balloon to escape East Germany.  Their floating ship to freedom carried them into the safety, security, and more fairly governed land of West Germany.  They left everything behind in their East German homes - trusting that what lay ahead was worth the sacrifice.  They left because they knew that where they were was unhealthy and limiting them from becoming the individuals and families they could be. 

Their story reminds of me of a doctrine I hold near and dear to my heart.  The doctrine of conversion.  Hear Jesus on the matter.

“Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.” John 3:3

“Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’"
John 3:5-7


“The time has come. The kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the good news!”
Mark 1:15


“Come, follow me, and I will send you out to fish for people.”
Mark 1:17


The promise of the better things that Jesus offers surpasses the appeal of old lives, former interests, and present pursuits. 


Most in East Germany settled for their everyday conditions.  Others dug tunnels, jumped fences, and boarded balloons.  They escaped into freedom. 

Through Christ, the Father offers freedom.  In order to claim it, one must long to leave the known and go in faith into the unknown.

The Lord had said to Abram, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you." - Genesis 12:1
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." - Matthew 11:28


Sometimes the grass actually is greener on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment