Counting and Naming


The X-rays confirmed it. I broke my clavicle as a result of the Alaskan ice and an unwise choice of footwear. Now I write this via my voice rather than my fingers. I have been reminded these last few days about the significance of the little things in life, the things I so often take for granted. Here are some examples:
Buttoning my shirt.
Donning my down coat. 
Washing the left side of my body.
Using a fork. 
I am about halfway through the healing process, and I have been ready to exit said process since my shoulder and the ice-covered pavement collided.

I am however, periodically reminded that I should not complain.  In a matter of weeks, I will be holding forks and racquetball rackets as if the accident never occurred.  Others will continue on with more severe medical issues. Still others will continue in the process of waiting for a brokenness to heal, perhaps even a broken heart.  All said, my troubles are light.

In 1897 a man named Johnson Oatman, Jr. wrote the well-known song that contains the following well-known refrain.
 
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God has done!
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your many blessings, see what God has done.
He continues . . .  
So, amid the conflict whether great or small,
Do not be discouraged, God is over all;
Count your many blessings, angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey’s end.

"So, amid the conflict."

What is your current conflict?

. . . a broken clavicle, a broken heart, a wounded spirit, a struggling relationship. . .

I offer to my fellow conflicted ones a word of encouragement, a word of advice.

              Count your blessings, name them one by one.

When you count and name, you will remember and recognize. You will remember the blessings and recognize just how much of a gift they were and are.

 

#ordinarylives

No comments:

Post a Comment