Stranded Travelers and Safe Landings

Within the past month, my family members and I have, at times, encountered travel difficulties.  Two cancelled flights, one delayed flight, an almost-too-brief layover (7 minutes before they closed the door), and a lost piece of luggage.  

While frustration and anxiety fought patience and peace for dominance, the latter pair added an "L" for the former's column.  For the sake of full disclosure, I confess that similar situations have added more than a healthy number of "Ws" to the pesty pair.  

My Win/Loss columns remain healthy when I recall (and act upon) Jesus' words in His Sermon.

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:34 (NIV)

Can I get an "Amen!" to the last sentence?  Now how about a hearty "OK" / "Right on" / "Roger" (your pick) to the first sentence? 

Far more often than we like to confess, tomorrow's worries cripple our todays.  Likewise, today's troubles habitually steal the joyous anticipation of tomorrow.  When the worries and poor habits threaten, I try to focus on the good that occurs.  


For example:
- While one of the cancelled flights stranded 20 plus of us in Florida, we were able to eat Chick-fil-A one more time and Alaska Air paid for it.
- Alaska Air, without being asked, also issued flight vouchers to each of us.
- The luggage will be found or paid for.
- I met a delightful person that I would not have met otherwise.
and most importantly
- We all arrived safely!

Leave the worrying to tomorrow; it will handle it better than you will.

#ordinarylives

No comments:

Post a Comment