Lessons from a Piano Lesson

Just over two weeks ago, as I listened to my youngest son grace the keys during a piano lesson, I learned a new (to me, at least) word.
Hemiola

I am quite sure that without the help of Webster or Wikipedia, I would struggle to define the word.  Nevertheless, even as one whose half-hearted piano days included complaints about practicing and fingers never straying far from Middle C, I now know that hemiola is a musical term which refers to the alteration of the rhythm in which the composer intends the musician to play the composition.  The one mastering the keys imposes duple time upon triple time.

Imposing one rhythm upon another, while beautiful in a piece of music, can cause disruption to other pieces of life.  Seeing the word "disruption" usually brings visions of confusion and memories of uncomfortable experiences to our minds.  However, disruptions - while at times painful and pointless - just as often bring new starts and fresh perspectives to our lives.

What areas of your life could use a bit of disruption?  Where could you alter your pace a bit (or quite a bit)?  Where could a hemiola adjustment bring beauty into your life?  Perhaps you would benefit from slowing down a little so you can enjoy a stroll on a path and an exit from the fast-paced race.  Perhaps your life would be enriched by speeding up a bit so you lose the burden of slothfulness and embrace well-paced living.

Just as with our planet, you and I experience seasons.  At times we live in a season of high-demand planting (starting a new job, raising toddlers, preparing for a significant presentation).  At other times we enjoy a less-demanding harvest (finding our groove at work, graduating from diapers, soaking up sun in Hawaii).  Through it all we have access to a gift from the Creator of time itself that, when received, brings beauty into all of our seasons.

“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”
Matthew 11:28-30 (The Message)

Find your rhythm in His rhythm.

#ordinarylives

No comments:

Post a Comment