The Hills are Alive

Last week my family and I journeyed to Alaska's PAC (Performing Arts Center) to watch a Broadway production of the classic "Sound of Music."  I restrained myself from singing along with the performers - perhaps a few words escaped, but hopefully noticed only by a mere few.

Music inspires me.  Truly the thought of a world void of music causes a shutter within me.  Even as I write this, the sounds of Elijah Bossenbroek's "Falling Away" fill my ears. 

I believe our Creator wired us with the love of music.  Every culture on earth cherishes music.  One reason for this, I believe, is that God Himself cherishes music. 

Beginning with Jubal (see Genesis 4), "the father of all who play . . . instruments" and continuing all the way through the accounts of the angels and people of nations singing praise to God in Revelation, the Bible is full of references to music.  Perhaps the most prolific in music was David, the second king of Israel.  One of David's most familiar songs (psalms) is the last one included in the book of Psalms.  It reads...

Hallelujah!
Praise God in his holy house of worship,
    praise him under the open skies;
Praise him for his acts of power,
    praise him for his magnificent greatness;
Praise with a blast on the trumpet,
    praise by strumming soft strings;
Praise him with castanets and dance,
    praise him with banjo and flute;
Praise him with cymbals and a big bass drum,
    praise him with fiddles and mandolin.
Let every living, breathing creature praise God!
    Hallelujah!
Psalm 150 (The Message)

David and Maria von Trapp both remind us to listen for the music and make the music.  Our God loves to hear us sing - even if we're off key.  God finds joy in our praise.  So go grab your banjo, cymbals, big bass drum, and 76 trombones (a tribute to another cinema classic) and ready your voice!  Praise God.  Sing to God.  Let the hills resound with song.

#ordinarylives

No comments:

Post a Comment