Show Up

This weekend dozens of Rabbit Creek Church teenagers will gather in homes across our city for an event known as Discipleship Now, DNow for short.  They will gather for games; food; maybe a bit of rest; and, as the event title suggests, discipleship. 

Nearly three decades later, I still recall weekends dedicated to the same purposes.  As a student, just as ours will this weekend, I joined with other FBC Arlington teens for games, food, a bit of rest, and discipleship.  While I cannot recall the subject material, I do remember the purpose.  We gathered for relationship-building and spiritual growth.  While neither was a guaranteed outcome,  the mere act of attending made good results possible and even likely.

A few years later as I mentored under my pastor, he assigned me the task of creating a document that would accompany his teaching for people who were exploring church membership.  I took thorough notes as he taught.  A particular phrase he used caught my attention each time.  He would ask each inquirer to share their ideas on what they thought were the most important aspects of church membership.  Upon graciously hearing their answers, my pastor would say, "The number one key to church membership is showing up."  He went on to explain how being present leads the way to engagement and faithful service.  Yet he was intentional in communicating that it all starts with showing up. 

To this day I echo his conviction on that matter.

When you commit to showing up for worship and Bible study, the life-change is not guaranteed; but the mere act of attending makes good results possible and even likely.

My calendar shows me that March 24th is the next upcoming Sunday.  Find a church.  Find your church.  Show up.  Results may vary.  But, the mere act . . .

#ordinarylives

No comments:

Post a Comment