God Who Goes With You

Thank you to my friend, Chris Gonzales, for writing today’s post.
- Mark



Deuteronomy 31:6 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
Be strong and courageous; don’t be terrified or afraid of them. For it is the LORD your God who goes with you; He will not leave you or forsake you.

At our Small Group tonight we discussed the question: “When have you felt like God was not present?”  This question is deep and will likely call upon some of the most emotional and poignant times in our lives. My wife and I remembered a period of time after Jeremiah was born, with the medical challenges and all that comes with a preemie, when the pressure and stress seemed as if it was going to break us. The story is long and it is hard, if not impossible, to convey the emotion, sadness and the brokenness we each went through together and alone. 


Though, it is really unnecessary to give the specifics, as I am sure the mere mention of a time of brokenness brings to mind a similar time for you.

Unfortunately, we know, as we see in John 16:33 “…You will have suffering in this world…” But there is hope! And it is found in the promises of God as we read in Deuteronomy 31:6.

During small group, as we spoke of our dark times, we all spoke of how in those moments we found ourselves completely reliant upon God. I recalled the feeling of realizing my need for God, of clinging to God. I could see myself sinking in the world and holding to God as if it was the last knot at the end of my rope.

These times we have faced are (and will be) difficult, but true to God’s promise He never left me. God carried me through the tough times and because of them I am a stronger Christian now and I am better able to serve Him in this broken world.

I do not know all of the struggles you have faced, or will face, but I can promise you that God does. God knows the worst of this world and Jesus understands the depths of pain beyond our comprehension, but they have also conquered over sin and death. As it says in Romans 8:31If God is for us, who can ever be against us… therefore . . .

Be strong and courageous; don’t be terrified or afraid of them. For it is the LORD your God who goes with you; He will not leave you or forsake you.

In Him,
Chris Gonzales


#ordinarylives

No comments:

Post a Comment