The Value of Weeds



Beautiful – that one word describes the weather for most of our 2016 summer so far in my home of Anchorage, Alaska. 

As I watched one of my sons play baseball last Tuesday, a girl (I assume a little sister of my son’s teammate) sat in her sun dress in the 63 degree weather and complained to her father, “It is hot!”  If you’re not Alaskan, 63 and hot do not belong in the same sentence.  Be that as it may, no one else at the fields complained and we enjoyed the Little League – pursuits of victory and the sunshine. 


Sunshine in Alaska also means weeds.  Every year I battle dandelions, crabgrass, and unwanted clover.  I am winning the war this year, mostly.  Yet, in the yards of those who are losing their lawn fights or just don’t care, I try to see beauty in their weeds. 
Dandelions provide bright yellow signs of life and much “blow and make a wish” fun. 
Crabgrass, well that’s another story. 
Clover – there’s an easy one for the theologically inclined.  Think, even though it’s June and not March, Saint Patrick.



Saint Patrick’s Breastplate is said to have been composed by Saint Patrick in preparation for the victory over Paganism which was completed on Easter Sunday in 433.  The words were translated into English verse by Cecil Frances Alexander in 1889. 



Saint Patrick’s Breastplate

Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me;

Christ within me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me;

Christ to the right of me, Christ to the left of me;

Christ in my lying, Christ in my sitting, Christ in my rising;

Christ in the heart of all who think of me;

Christ on the tongue of all who speak of me;

Christ in the eye of all who see me;

Christ in the ear of all who hear me.



Christ with, behind, and before.  Now that’s worth repeating and celebrating.  Christ penetrates all of life with His grace, love, and beauty.  In the words of Paul, “Christ in you, the hope of glory.”  Colossians 1:27

I’m convinced that the Devil resides in weeds (and will continue to show them the wrath of “Weed and Feed”); nevertheless, I also try to look at weeds and praise the Creator and the gift of His Son.

Thank you God, for weeds!

No comments:

Post a Comment