I See The Monstrous Cross

Beginning with Christians in Samoa and ending with believers in Hawaii (unless some live on Midway Island), Christians around the globe with observe Good Friday on April 14th.  It is the day when Christ-followers mark the crucifixion of Jesus.  It is "Good" because that tragic day turned magnificent as Jesus declared "It is finished," and thus defeated death by His death.  Over a decade ago I composed words as I reflected upon His gift to me and to all who will receive.  I invite you to read that reflection. 


I See The Monstrous Cross
by Mark T. Goodman

I see the monstrous cross waiting for Jesus, and I call out, “Jesus don’t go!  Not for me, save yourself.  I don’t deserve you.”
Then I remember that He already submitted to death.  He did choose to go for me.
As I recall His death, I hear the words of His Father,
                “This is my Son, whom I love…”
Here conviction falls.

Holding my sin up next to that monstrous cross, I see that the former is the more monstrous.  While the cross is mere timber, my sin is composed of far sicker things.
Hate lashes quicker than whips;
Pride beats harder than clubs;
Anger cuts sharper than thorns;
Greed pains deeper than nails.
The cross did not choose to hold Jesus, yet I through my sin, chose to burden the shoulders of the Son of God.
Dare I curse the nails and not the greed?
Dare I call anyone “the crucifier” other than me?

I, through my sin, killed the One whom the Father loves. 
                “This is my Son, whom I love…”
These words torment my soul.


I see the crucified Christ dying on the tree, and I call out, “Jesus don’t go!  Surely you are the Son of God.  Save yourself!”
As I see His death, I remember His words,
                “Forgive them Father, they know not what they do.”
Here amazement calls.
I, through His grace, receive pardon.  How could this be? 
                “Forgive them Father, they know not what they do.”
These words save my soul.


I see the risen Lord departing from me, and I call out, “Jesus don’t go!  Don’t leave me alone.”
As I see His face, I listen to His words,
                “I will be with you always, to the end.”
Here solace calls.
I, through His love, welcome my Guide.
                “I will be with you always, to the end.”
These words comfort my soul.


I see the exalted Christ sitting on His throne, and I call out, “Jesus come!  Take me home.”
As I stare into the heavens, I hear His voice,
                “Behold, I am coming soon!”
Here joy calls.
He, through His promise, is returning in His glory.
                “Behold, I am coming soon!”
These words lift my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment