The Mixture

In addition to the books of the Bible, I am currently in the process of reading five books.  I am reading one on the subject of connection to God, one on the theme of living well as a man / father / husband, one recounting the history of religious diversity in America, one telling the tale of a magic castle, and the story of Little Joe Otter and his adventures.

The mixture of fact, fiction, advice, adventure, critters, creeds, prayers, pups, knights, and kids pours into my brain and leads me to lands of exciting imagination and places of personal reflection.  I enjoy the diversity of subject, focus, and intention as I read. 

I also enjoy that diversity as I live my Ordinary Life.  Among other things, I am . . .
     a husband
     a father
     a pastor
     a teacher
     a friend
     an Alaskan

Each day as I prepare for hours ahead, I do so without knowledge of much that day will bring -- even though I enjoy routine.  I will face fact and fiction as I talk with people and, hopefully, we will agree on which is which.  I will offer and be offered advice and, hopefully, good advice at that.  When the chance for adventure comes my way, I will consider the opportunity and, perhaps, jump in.  I will pray, play, read, and run; and I will connect with my kids, hug my wife, and laugh with my friends; and, hopefully, I will embrace the richness of it all. 

When you choose the Ordinary Life, you choose to embrace and enjoy diversity.  In that diversity, while you face both clarity and uncertainty, you see the beauty of God using all things to His glory.  Check out Paul's reminder.

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
Romans 8:28 (NIV)
Not all things that happen are good or God's will, but all things are malleable in the strong hands of God.  He will work through and in them to strengthen you.

31 What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? 33 Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. 34 Who then is the one who condemns? No one. Christ Jesus who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? 36 As it is written:

“For your sake we face death all day long;
    we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”
37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers,    39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 8:31-39 (NIV)

As you read and as you live, go enjoy the mixture.

2 comments:

  1. Brother Mark! This is Greg (BU Truett). Thanks for this post. Just wondering, have you read this book? http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/tattoos-on-the-heart-gregory-boyle/1102042026

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Greg. Thanks for taking the time to read my posts. I have not read that book.

    ReplyDelete