Not So Easy

Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” 
John 8:31-32 (NIV)

Everyone appreciates authenticity.  As a Christian, I want to live as an authentic disciple of Jesus.  Thankfully, John the disciple recorded Jesus' statement that instructs me how to live with such authenticity.  The instruction begins with the word "if."  Sometimes that is a rather big if. 

 
While her subject matter varies from Jesus', when I think about the calling to follow Jesus, I hear the words of Sheryl Crow -  "No One Said It Would Be Easy." 

The Apostle Paul, in his most vulnerable moment, with pen in hand (or dictating to his amanuensis), confessed . . .

Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God’s law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin.
Romans 7:25 (NLT)

Perhaps you relate.  While, truth be told, some people frustrate you and me, the one who frustrates us most is self.  Like Paul's question, we ask our own. . .

"Why can't I stop?"
"When will I learn?
"Why is this so hard?"
"I know better than that!"
Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death?
Romans 7:24 (NLT)

When Paul wrote that question, he knew the answer.  Thankfully, he shared it with us.

Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord.
Romans 7:25a (NLT)

Thanks be to God; through Jesus, we find freedom and the strength to do that which we should do and not do what we should not do.  No one, including Jesus, said following Him would be easy.  He did, however, say it would be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment