Difficult Dates

Seventeen years ago today, we watched as the Twin Towers collapsed due to the selfish and murderous acts of angry people.  The combination of the numbers 9 and 11 is etched into our minds.  Events such as 9/11 force their way into our long-term memories. 

The years 587 BC and AD 70 are etched into the minds of people of Jewish heritage as they remember that their most holy site, the Temple, was destroyed in those years. 

I recall hearing the news of the explosion of the Space Shuttle (two actually). 


Those of a generation before me remember the day of the Grassy Knoll. 


One generation before them was shocked on December 7, 1941.


Other events are far more personal but no less painful.  You have yours; I have mine.  Without taking the unwise step of numbing the memories, what should we do with our own "personal Pearl Harbor days"? 

You probably expect me, as a Christian pastor and blogger, to answer that question with the answer, "God."  If so, you are correct.  I stand by that "Sunday School answer."  (Sometimes those are the best answers.)

God can free you from your distress that is causing you stress.  Bring your bad memories to God.  In his song, "Forgiveness," Crowder declares . . .
I've done things I wish I hadn't done.
I've seen things I wish I hadn't seen.

Our bad memories consist of recollections of things that we have done wrong and that others have done to us.  We can find freedom from both kinds of recollection.  Crowder's song title points us to the "how."  Forgiveness.

When you recall a wrong you have done, ask forgiveness from God and the one(s) you harmed.  (Don't forget to also forgive yourself.)

When you recall a wrong done to you, extend forgiveness - it is for good reason that Jesus told us to forgive our enemies and pray for those who harm us.

On this September 11th, decide to give your "personal Pearl Harbor days" to God.

#ordinarylives

No comments:

Post a Comment