Listen

Three of the Twelve, while on a mountain, experienced a mountain-top event.  They saw their Lord and Teacher shine like the sun with clothes as brilliant as the light (see Matthew 17).  They were also given the privilege of seeing and hearing the long-since-Paradise-dwelling Moses and Elijah.  The Law-giver and the prophet of renown stood and conversed with Jesus. 

While the sons of Zebedee stood speechless, the other fisherman-by-trade-turned-disciple who often spoke when nervous or uncertain opened his mouth and suggested setting up camp.  During his attempt to help, the voice of the Father boomed from the heavens.  He said . . .

“This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!”
Matthew 17:5b (NIV)
"Listen to him!" the Father instructed.  Listen to Jesus.  That instruction did more than quiet Peter; it set in motion the practice of wise Christians.  Wise Christians listen to Jesus.

Recently David Crowder released his song, "Red Letters."  Within his lyrics, Crowder declares . . .

Then I read the red letters
And the ground began to shake
The prison walls started falling
And I became a free man that day 
Felt like lightning hit my veins
My dead heart began to beat
Breath of God filled my lungs
And the Holy Ghost awakened me
Yeah, the Holy Ghost awakened me
When I read the red letters
And the ground began to shake
The prison walls started falling
And I became a free man that day
For God so loved the whole wide world
Sent his only Son to die for me
Arms spread wide for the whole wide world
His arms spread wide where mine should be 
Jesus changed my destiny

No one's life remains unchanged upon reading the red letters - the words of Jesus.  Yes, some will choose to ignore them and others will just breeze through them; yet everyone who reads the letters experiences a change.  For those who read and respond with a mixture of joy, repentance, feelings of conviction, and thrill - the words alter their life both for the now and the eternal.

Seeking wisdom?  Listen to Jesus.
Needing answers?  Listen to Jesus.
Looking for meaning?  Listen to Jesus.

In everything, Listen to Jesus!

#ordinarylives

No comments:

Post a Comment