Fire

I like fire.
 

While pyromaniac would be a severe overstatement, pyroenthusiast is fair.  As a Boy Scout, I learned the required knots (square knot, clove hitch, etc.); but I loved burning things.  Actually, fire was one of my favorite activities of Scouting - that and playing with (I mean to say safely handling) knives.  I have a wonderful reminder in the form of a scar.  I loved the camping, canoeing, hiking, archery, and knives; but, again, I really enjoyed the fires.

Interestingly the Bible is full of stories of fire.  Some tell of expansive destruction; yet others deal with less destructive events.  Think . . .

  • Moses and the burning bush.
  • The fire of protection by the Red Sea.
  • Elijah vs. the prophets of Baal.
  • The fires of burnt sacrifices.
  • Fire representing the mighty power and presence of the Holy Spirit.

The Bible mentions fire over 500 times.  Twenty-six times occur in Revelation.  Revelation tells, in summary, of the great victory of Jesus over the evils of Satan and the resulting unification of God's people with Him.  


The Bible promises (which means it will happen) that Jesus will return to earth to set things right.  Jesus' return is the central focus of the season of Advent which begins this week.  Many churches use fire (candles) to help the worshipers progress through the season.  Then, during Christmas Eve, children and adults hold lighted candles while singing something along the lines of "Silent Night." 

As you see candles, lights, and fire this season, remember the promise of Jesus.

12 “Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done.
13
I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End."

Revelation 22:12-13 (NIV)

#ordinarylives

No comments:

Post a Comment