"God in the Arts"

My family and I enjoy the productions of TBA (a local theatre group).  As their name illustrates, they train better artists.  Memories of seeing their production of "Fiddler on the Roof" continue to form my mouth into a smile.  With anticipation, my family and I await their rendition of "It's a Wonderful Life," which we will see this coming Friday. 

With equal anticipation, I look forward to Saturday as well.  On that afternoon my wife, oldest son, and I will watch and listen as my youngest son graces the ivories during the Winter Recital.  What parent doesn't love seeing their child share a talent?

This weekend, at least for the Goodman family, will be one filled with theatre and music - filled with art, in other words.  Gratitude overwhelms my heart when I contemplate the thought that God, the greatest artist and artistic director, filled creation with color, sound, beauty, music, and awe.

Art connects me to my Creator.  As I listen to music, I hear the miracle of sound and the use of talent.  When I view paintings, I see the fruit of one's expression that found its voice on the canvas.  "Christian" and "secular" art alike arise from a motivation to create (even if the artist is not aware).  God grabs our attention, when we choose to notice, through the art of nature and the art of human creation.
 

View Rembrandt's "The Return of the Prodigal Son."  What do you see? 



 










Attend to Van Gogh's "The Starry Night."  Do you see the glory of God in the sky?










Listen to Elijah Bossenbroek's "I Give Up" and you will hear a bit of the music of heaven. 

Tune into Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" and you will hear expression of loneliness and temporary solace.  The song reminds me that our world needs more hope. 

Watch Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Phantom of the Opera" and the music will move your innermost being. 

Experience "Fiddler on the Roof" and feel the honesty of Tevye's musical protest to God that poverty, while not a shame, is "no great honor, either."

On Friday, as I watch the artists of TBA and Saturday as I listen to the talent of my son, I will smile and thank God for the gift of the arts.  Watch and listen; you will see and hear the creativity of God.

#ordinarylives

No comments:

Post a Comment