"Shades Drawn Tight"

A few years ago I composed a poem within which I reflected on the amazing gift of God's grace.  I share that with you now.


"Shades Drawn Tight”

With the shades drawn tight
I hide myself from the light
For I see me not as free
But as bound to a powerful three
Fear, anger, and doubt
Grip so tightly and keep me out
Of life and joy
Like a man’s duty placed on a boy

I pull and release the strings
And the newly-lifted shades
Reveal a presence so real
It teaches me, once more,
What it means to feel

Then like water forging a trail
Determined to prevail
Flowing down its newly formed path
The light, undeterred, fills a bath
And pulls me into love and hope
Removing my need to grope

With the shades open for sight
I bathe myself in the light
For I see me as truly free
As one joyfully bound to the Holy Three
Father, Son, and Holy Ghost
Grasp so tightly as I hear the Heavenly hosts
Sing of life and joy
Creating a child of God out of a mere hobbledehoy
 

Mark T. Goodman
A child of God by His Grace

#ordinarylives

Photo credit:  Ben Schulman - "Lights on the River" - 2013 - Anchorage, AK.

No comments:

Post a Comment