The Consolation Prize Worth Winning

With perhaps a few exceptions, Anchorage School District students look forward to this Thursday's afternoon bell.  That sound will mark the end of a semester and the beginning of Winter Break.  

Calendars tell us that winter begins on Saturday; but according to kids, the final season of the year starts on Friday.  In my mind, as I write, I picture hundreds of Calvins running with glee.  What brings you glee?

 


For the writer of Psalm 94, it was the consolation of the Lord that brought glee.
18 When I said, “My foot is slipping,”
    your unfailing love, Lord, supported me.
19 When anxiety was great within me,
    your consolation brought me joy.
Psalm 94:18-19 (NIV)

You and I are no strangers to our feet slipping.

We slip for various reasons . . .

  • Poor traction
  • Steep inclines
  • Steep descents
  • Slippery paths

Those translate, in our faith walk, to . . .

  • Poor preparation
  • Intense temptations
  • Careless pursuits
  • Those infamous "slippery slopes"

Glee abounds when God steps in and prevents our fall or picks us up after we have already fallen. 

As we draw near to year's end, we will benefit from a time of reflection that leads to joy.

When God steps in, His actions mark the end of the slipping and the beginning of firm footing. 

1 I waited patiently for the LORD;
    he turned to me and heard my cry.
2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
    out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
    and gave me a firm place to stand.
3 He put a new song in my mouth,
    a hymn of praise to our God.
Psalm 40:1-3a (NIV)

The slimy pit-dweller became the firm-place stander.  He experienced the consolation of the Lord and, therefore, experienced glee - such glee that his joy led to singing.

Reflect on the times in 2019 when God consoled you.  When did He keep your foot from slipping?  When did He lift you up?

Through the Scripture, the Author instructs us to do a very helpful thing.  He tells us to remember.  When we remember, we find it much easier to do two additional actions of faith.
     1) Trust God.
     2) Fight Fear.

We grow in maturity as we learn to do those essential actions of faith.  The more often we remember, the better we become at trusting and fighting.  Back in Psalm 94, we recognize what the psalmist fought and in whom he trusted.
    - He fought anxiety.
    - He trusted God.
As a result of both actions, he experienced the LORD'S unfailing love and consolation.

What a prize!

#ordinarylives

No comments:

Post a Comment